Church of S.Giacomo: the Immaculate
(photo by E.Peluso)
The traces dated back to the superior Paleolitic have been discovered in the neighbor Fellino Mount. Crossroad of main importance in Roman age, the territory crossed by the Popilia road was the theater of a battle among the legions, leaded by Marco Claudio Marcello, and the Cartaginesi of Annibale, finished with the victory of the Romans. Testimony of that period, during which rose three different settlements: Cicciano, to the north, Curano to the east, Cutignano, to south west, remained separate to the Middle Age, there are the rests of a funeral monument from the Ist century A.D., and two statues of limestone , without the heads. During the Middle Age, the village was lived in the shade of the castle, the Castrum Ciccianum, which the moat was delimited by the water of Clanio.
In the XIIIth century, with the abolition of the diocese of Avella, the Templars, before, and the Riders from Malta, then, came in possession of the goodsand of the ecclesiastical laws of the country. Only in the 1792, the territory passed by the order of the King of Naples, to the Diocesian Administration of Nola.