The Church of S.Lucia
(photo by G.Mollo)
The site of the actual country has been very frequented from the superior paleolitic, particularly in the period among the neolitic and the bronze age, as it attests the abundant presence of Appenine ceramic, of unusual typology.
The second part of the name, "rainola", dates back to the period of Sannitic occupation, it is tied semanticaly to the concept of unstable precipice ploughed by a course of water, while the first part of the name remembers the medieval castle.
The traces of the Roman period can be noticed even in the position of the streets. There are many finds, from funeral monuments to the coins, from the earthenware materials to the marble epigraphs. In the Middle Age the zone falls, with alternate events, between the dukedom of Naples and that of Benevento.
In the meantime there are built the two castles of Roccarainola and of Fellino. There are two homonyms feuds, relative to them, that unify only in the 1315; from the 1665 the feud passes to Mastrilli family, that holds the power up to the abolition of the feudility in the 1806.